- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 8 fresh brown and/or white mushrooms (remove stems and slice caps)
- 8 fresh Chinese water chestnuts (peel and quarter) or ½ cup fresh jicama, sliced
- 1 carrot (peel and cut into julienne strips)
- 2 cups Napa cabbage (torn into small strips)
- 1 cup vegetarian broth
- 1 cup firm tofu (bean cake) (cut to ½” cubes)
- 8 snow peas or snap peas (remove strings and cut to thin slivers)
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce (low-sodium preferred)
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch mixed well with 2 teaspoons cold water
- 1 teaspoon sesame oil
- Chinese parsley (cilantro) for garnish
Heat wok until smoky.
Add vegetable oil.
Stir-fry mushrooms, bamboo shoots, water chestnuts, carrot and cabbage, and cook for 3-4 minutes over high heat.
Cover and cook for 5 minutes over low heat.
Add tofu, tofu skin, bean sprouts, snow peas and soy sauce.
Cover and simmer for 2 minutes.
Stir in cornstarch mixture to form a light gravy, adjusting if necessary.
Drizzle with sesame oil and top with sprigs of fresh Chinese parsley.