Annons:
Tagasian-cuisine
Read 2335 times
Evelina
2019-01-04 09:47

Kung Poa Tofu

Image 1. Click to open in original size.
Preview of image 1 of 2
Preview of image 2 of 2

This recipe is fire, you guys! It's been one of my favs since I was a kid that my mom used to make. She would make it with chicken and now I adapted it into a veggie version. My mom’s recipe doesn’t have any measurements since she eyeballs everything. So that is what I do too. I will have to guesstimate the amounts for you. 👏

What you’ll need:

• 3 heads of broccoli, cut up
  • 5 green onions, sliced
  • 1-2 jalapeños, sliced
  • 2 blocks tofu, drained, wrapped in a paper towel, and dried
  • 1 cup salted peanuts (for topping)
  • Brown rice, cooked (6 servings)
  • Peanut oil for frying

For the tofu:

• 1 tablespoon soy sauce
  • 1/8 teaspoon white pepper
  • 1/2 tablespoon white rice wine vinegar
  • 1/2 tablespoon hoisin sauce
  • 1 1/2 teaspoon sesame oil
  • 1/2 teaspoon sugar

Mix with tofu
Add 1 tablespoon cornstarch and mix until coated

For the sauce:

• 1 cup hot veg broth
  • 2 tablespoon soy sauce
  • 1/8 cup oyster sauce
  • 1/8 teaspoon kitchen boutique (optional)
  • A small small touch of housin (optional)
  • Red pepper flakes, to your liking
  • 1/2 tablespoon cornstarch added later

Method.

Cut up the tofu into pretty small cubes and place them into a mixing bowl. Add tofu ingredients and let sit.

Mix sauce ingredients (except for the cornstarch) and set aside. Prepare veggies. Take a big frying pan or wok with peanut oil and turn up medium-high. Add the broccoli and about 1/8 cup water (to soften the broccoli). Fry until broccoli is cooked but definitely not soggy! We want crisp broccoli. Set aside.

Now very quickly on high fry the jalapeño and green onion for a brief amount of time. Set aside

On high heat, add a good amount of peanut oil. Place one tofu cube to check how hot the pan is. Once hot, add half of the tofu but be careful because the oil with a splash (that is why a wok is best but I don’t have one and it still works). Let sit for a few seconds and continue to shake the pan and stir and fry until the tofu is cooked. Set aside.

Repeat with the rest. Set aside.

Make sure the pan is free from any bits (you might have to clean it or wipe it down with a paper towel).

Next on medium heat add the sauce. And grab a small bowl or cup and add the cornstarch to the cup. Take a spoon and add small amounts of the sauce to the cornstarch cup until you can mix the cornstarch but it shouldn’t be too watery. Slowly add this mix to the saucepan while stirring. Once the sauce thickens just a tad then you are finished. Turn off the heat and add the veggies to the sauce but keep the tofu set aside.

Serve with rice and topped with peanuts.

• Edited by Niklas 2022-02-09 16:59
Annons:
Tammie
2019-01-04 21:38

Awesome! I love Kung Poa!

Happy creating!

Tammie

Host of Paints and Crafts

Leia
2019-01-04 23:22

#1 This looks yummy! But if you're not a massive nut fan like me I would recommend crushing the salted peanuts with a rolling pin and mixing it to your meal! I like the tastes but not the hard texture.  I tried crushing salted peanuts into my meal this evening and I loved it!

All the best, Leia

Host of  Gluten-Free Living | News  | English Language Heart

Scroll to top
Annons: